Deep Space Mountain Marathon, Half Marathon, 10k and 5k
Orroral Deep Space Tracking Station
end of Orroral Road
Namadgi National Park ACT
Sunday 8 November 2015
This year’s event is only 1 week away. It will be held on Sunday 8 November. If you would like to participate this year and you have not already entered, can you please assist by entering in the next couple of days. Last year entries increased from 70 on the Tuesday before to 200 on race day and this caused considerable logistical problems.
Enter online at https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?E=18197
Full event details are at http://www.coolrunning.com.au/calendar/public_html/2015/2015e022.pdf
1. The venue has changed. The start/finish is now at the Orroral Space Tracking Station at the end of the Orroral Road in Namadgi National Park. It is NOT at Honeysuckle Creek because the parking there is insufficient for 200 people.
2. The race program is: 7.30am marathon; 8.30am half marathon run & power walk; 9am 10 km run and walk; 9.05am 5 km run and walk.
3. If you cannot run, helpers are urgently needed to do the following jobs: 2 race check in helpers; 2 course marshals; 1 drink station; time keeping and recording; car parking organiser; a sweep to follow the last runner in the marathon on his/her 2nd lap; a lead cyclist; a person to tow a portaloo on a trailer back to Canberra on Sunday. All helpers will receive a choice of T shirt, wine or chocolate. Please volunteer online at http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning.com.au/index.php?module=Home&action=volunteer
4. Weather forecast for Sunday 8th from the Weather Bureau as at 1 November): Min. 9 degrees, max 24. Partly cloudy. Slight chance of a shower.
5. Time to travel to the venue: From Hackett to the Orroral Tracking Station takes 65 mins. This includes driving at 40 kph in Namadgi National Park from the Orroral camp ground to the Tracking Station at the end of the Orroral Road. There are many kangaroos hopping across or on this road. Take care.
6. Camping: the Orroral campground is a beautiful campground only 10 mins drive from the race. It costs $8 to camp. Pay at the Namadgi Visitors Centre on the way out on Saturday afternoon, or book online. Note that the weather forecast for Saturday is for a 50% chance of showers, most likely in the morning.
7. Course descriptions.
Start/finish at Orroral Deep Space sign in the Orroral Tracking Station carpark.
Half marathon course: From Orroral Tracking Station to Honeysuckle Tracking Station campground and return on well maintained 4WD road. See map in the event information.
Marathon: 2 laps of Half Marathon course.
10 km course: a out and back undulating T shape course which avoids the half marathon course steep hill. After 1.8km on the half marathon course there is a 2km out and back leg (1 km out, 1 km back). The course then rejoins the half marathon course and turns around at the 4km mark. It is then 4 km to the finish.
5 km course: out and back on the half marathon course. The 2.5 km turnaround point is 80 metres past the Orroral River bridge.
Australian Mountain Running Association